PAGES

Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Better Breakfast

A couple years ago, I had a wakeboarding-induced neck injury that put me out of commission for about seven months.  {On a side note, beginners should not attempt jumps!}  My doctor prescribed me Prednisone right before Thanksgiving, but told me it might be a good idea to start taking it AFTER the holiday because it can cause excessive weight gain.  Great.  Just what I wanted to hear.

When I finally started taking the medication, I became extremely worried about gaining weight and started some not-so-great eating habits.  My breakfast each day was an Atkins shake, I'd have another for lunch and a small, low-carb dinner.  It worked!  Not only did I not gain weight, I actually lost a few pounds.  {I was unable to exercise due to my injury, so some of that weight was probably muscle.}  Before I knew it, I had become "afraid" of real food.  I was getting the results I wanted, so why should I do anything different?  As the months passed and I was able to exercise again, I lacked the energy I needed just to make it through the day.  I would get so tired and felt trapped in the unhealthy habits I had created.

It sounds silly, but it was actually quite difficult to switch my "tried and true" low-carb breakfast shake for something more nutritious and sustaining.  And now???  I think I'm hooked on a much healthier alternative!  This is what I have for breakfast almost every morning....




{tastes better than it looks!}

1/4 cup Pumpkin Flax Granola
1/4 cup frozen raspberries (no added sugar)...I microwave the berries for a few seconds
1 small container fat free plain Greek yogurt
1 packet Truvia

Mix it all together and you get a delicious, filling and HEALTHY breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips