PAGES

Monday, March 18, 2013

Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili With Sweet Potatoes

I was looking up dinner ideas in the grocery store parking lot the other day using my ZipList app.  I love how you can find recipes and add all the ingredients to your list at the click of a button.  This vegetarian chili recipe looked really good and a little different, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I give it extra points for being a crock pot meal too!

Here are all the ingredients you'll need....


1 medium red onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped {I only had orange}
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 28oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes {I used two small cans}
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed
1 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 cup water

Whoops!  I forgot to get the cocoa powder in the previous picture....


Dump it all in the crock pot....


Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours, and that's it.  It doesn't get easier than that!


I loved the sweetness from the cinnamon and the smokiness from the cumin.  I'm the only one in my family who loves sweet potatoes, so I knew I was taking a risk with this one.  And the verdict???  Everyone loved it!  Even my picky little princess ate a whole bowl!

You can find the original recipe and nutrition info here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips