PAGES

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Food Flashback

A couple years ago, Scott {the hubs} and I went to Puerto Rico.  Before we met, he lived there for two years while serving a mission for our church.  He always talked about how much he loved it there and how he wanted to go back and visit.  Well, his wish finally came true when we went there to celebrate our 12th anniversary.  It was our first big trip EVER and the first time we had left the kids for more than two nights. Needless to say, it was a much needed vacation and we had so much fun!

One of the main things I look forward to every time I travel is the food.  I love trying new things and expanding my foodie horizons.  The food in Puerto Rico definitely did not disappoint.

At the top of my list of things to try....FRESH COCONUT WATER.  It was so refreshing and so fun to watch them chop the top off the coconut right there in front of me.


We had plantains at just about every meal, but this was probably my favorite way they were served...


...as MOFONGO.  It's basically double-fried plantains mashed with garlic and extra pork fat.  Certainly not healthy, but soooo delicious!  Underneath that dome of mofongo were strips of perfectly cooked steak.  I'm drooling just thinking about it. Can you see the TOSTONES {fried, smashed plantains} in the background?  Nothing like plantains with a side of plantains!

The seafood was amazing....


I wish I could remember what this was called....


And one of the most memorable parts of our trip....the kiosks of food on the side of the road.


This is Scott with a PINCHO {grilled, barbecued meat on a stick with a big piece of fresh bread on top}.  He ate these all the time on his mission and loved them.

After hiking through the rainforest, we stopped at a little hole-in-the-wall bakery and had a couple of  sandwiches.  This doesn't look like much, but it was awesome! {Sorry for the poor picture quality.}  The bread was warm and crispy on the outside and deliciously soft on the inside.  


It was definitely a trip I'll never forget.  I can't wait until our next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips