PAGES

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Girls' Weekend in Charleston!

I've been MIA for a little while....sorry!  I went out of town with some girlfriends over the weekend and the rest of the week was spent getting ready to leave.  It takes a lot of work to get your house squared away and arrangements made for four kids.  Sometimes I wonder if the stress is worth it....yes, it definitely is!!! Especially when you have the greatest friends in the world like I do!


I'd never been to Charleston before and now I'm dying to go back!  It's such a clean, beautiful, historical city.  I loved the southern charm and the amazing food!

Here's a glimpse of what we ate....


Our first stop was Hominy Grill {a recommendation we found online}.  It was a great way to start our trip.  It was southern, classy and had delicious food.  Instead of bringing you bread, they bring out boiled peanuts {something I'd never tried}.  They were actually quite good and strangely addicting.  I definitely ate my fair share! Next we tried the fried green tomatoes....yum!  For my main course, I chose the crab cakes with a side of grits and collard greens {when in Charleston....}.  My sister-in-law and I actually split our dishes - I got half of her mahi mahi and she got one of my crab cakes.  I would definitely go back to this place!


For lunch the next day {after our walking tour of the city} we went to a fun place called Poogan's Porch.  My neighbor had just been to Charleston and told me I had to go there....she was right!  Each room in the house was set up as its own separate dining room.  Again, classy and full of southern charm.  I could really get used to this place.  They brought us homemade biscuits which were "melt-in-your-mouth" delicious with honey butter.  It doesn't get much better than that!  But wait....one of my friends ordered the pimento cheese fritters {possibly the most amazing things I've ever eaten}.  They were garlicky and crunchy on the outside and smooth and cheesy on the inside.  They were very rich but AMAZING!  I ordered a salmon salad and swapped out the goat cheese for blue cheese.  {I'll eat just about anything, but for some reason, I really dislike goat cheese.}  Another awesome meal down!

We were tired from getting up early and walking around the city, so we headed back to the beach and relaxed until dinner.  We couldn't decide where to go, and it was getting late, so we walked next door to Locklear's on the pier.  Our expectations were low, but it ended up being one of our favorite places.  


We ordered fried green tomatoes....again!  We tried them at almost every place we went.  These were probably my favorite.  The dill dipping sauce was so good, I could drink it!  I had a shrimp salad with a tomato-ginger dressing.  I wish I had the recipe for that dressing.  It was sorta like Mexican meets Asian.  So yummy!

In true girls' trip fashion, we brought way too many snacks....most of which were NOT healthy.  Take a look at our table!


Unfortunately, things like this are my weakness.  It's so easy to walk by and grab a handful of this and a handful of that.  Sometimes, you've just gotta give yourself permission to indulge!  {That's my what I think, anyway.}  

We ate at a place called Fuel our last night there.  It was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.  We ordered the Chips and Queso Carne and the Ho-Cakes.  Yum!  I then ordered a shrimp salad with pears and blue cheese {I'm sensing a salad theme}.  It was all so delicious!


I can't forget to add a picture of the gelato we got while walking around the city....half hazelnut, half coconut.  Need I say more?


And how can I forget the Toll House Cookie Pie from Kaminsky's???


This was our last indulgence of the trip and our "farewell to Charleston."  


This is a picture I took from our balcony the morning we left.  Oh, how I miss it! Until next time....

As you can tell from all these pictures, I really need to hit the gym and get back on track.  It was fun while it lasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips