PAGES

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bourbon Chicken {Hold the Bourbon}

One quick post before I head out of town again....

Is it just me, or is this time of year crazy?!  School is wrapping up and the kids have a million projects, SOL testing, end of year picnics, etc.  It'll be nice to slip away with the fam for a nice long weekend, but once again....the STRESS!!!  I've always found it amusing that whenever we go anywhere I end up packing 5 people {the kiddos + me} and Scott only has to pack himself.  It's not that he wouldn't do it {he's actually offered} I'm just a little too Type A for that.  Oh, well.

Anyway.... the other night, my oldest son requested bourbon chicken.  You know, the kind you get at the mall food court.  It really is delicious, so I set out to find an easy recipe a while back and ended up with a pretty good one.


Ingredients:

     2 lbsboneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
     1 tbsp olive oil
     1 garlic clove, crushed
     1/4 tsp ginger
     3/4 tspcrushed red pepper flakes {I used 1/8 tsp}
     1/4 cup apple juice
     1/3 cuplight brown sugar {I used Splenda brown sugar blend and followed                directions on package}
     2 tbsp ketchup
     1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
     1/2 cupwater
     1/3 cup soy sauce {I used reduced sodium}
     1 tbsp cornstarch {for a thicker sauce}

Instructions:
1. Heat oil in a large skillet.
2. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned.
3. Remove chicken.
4. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well blended and dissolved.
5. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
7. Serve over hot rice.

This is also great over cauliflower rice.  I've tried it with boneless, skinless chicken thighs as well.  Those places at the food court use thigh meat, so the first couple times I made it, I did too - keeping it more authentic.  This last time, I used chicken breast and it was just as tasty {and more healthy!}.


You can find the original recipe here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips