PAGES

Monday, July 15, 2013

Vegetable Soup

I'm back!  I've been out of town having a fun-filled week with my husband's family for our annual reunion.  There are 10 adults and 14 kids when we all get together, so it's crazy and a lot of fun!


Today was a scorcher!  I took the kids to the pool and could barely stand not being in the water....so what compelled me to make soup for dinner???  I have no idea. Nevertheless, I came up with a pretty tasty recipe if I don't say so myself.  


It all started with carrots, celery, onions and garlic....a good base for most soups, in my opinion.


I sauteed them in a little olive oil and then added some bell peppers, chicken broth, zucchini, beans and seasonings.


Then I dished myself up a bowl and topped it with some fresh tomatoes and a little reduced-fat feta.


It tasted surprisingly good on a hot summer day.  Scott even went back for seconds!

Ingredients:

     1 cup chopped carrots

     1 cup chopped celery

     1/2 sweet onion, chopped

     2 cloves garlic, minced

     1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

     1 bell pepper, chopped

     1 zucchini, chopped

     4 cups chicken {or vegetable} broth

     1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained

     1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained

     1/2 tsp salt

     1/2 tsp oregano

     1/2 tsp basil

     fresh cracked pepper to taste

     fresh tomatoes and reduced-fat feta for topping

Directions:

Saute onions, garlic, carrots and celery in olive oil until crisp-tender and add the salt and pepper.  Add peppers and saute a few minutes longer.  Add broth, basil, oregano and zucchini.  Simmer until zucchini is tender.  Add beans and heat through.  Adjust seasonings if necessary.  Top with tomatoes and feta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips